Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Playing the Waiting Game

I haven't given you a new post in the past few days because frankly, nothing has really happened.

Thanks to the holiday we got a three day weekend, so I headed home. Unfortunately my trip was marred by a tragedy in my church and my car being egged. In either case, it was good hanging out with the family, getting everything I neglected to bring down here, and of course, getting my laundry done.

I returned to Radcliff Sunday afternoon and soon discovered several of the other interns were planning on camping that night. I threw a bag of things together and took off with them. Overall it was a pretty fun night. Over the past week we've been here it's been nice hanging out with the other interns. We all complement each other very well, we keep joking about the fact that we're all a bunch of smart-asses. So the camping trip turned into more of just sitting around, talking, and hanging out. It was nice getting to spend a little extra time with them.

Then today it was back to work, sort of. We arrived back at the Public Affairs Office on base and took off to get some free equipment from the Army. They're nice enough to provide us with combat boots, socks, and camel packs for water. I think the lady helping us get boots was thoroughly entertained by us and our non-military attitudes. She took one look at our socks and immediately began telling us we couldn't wear those little socks in boots and that they were totally worthless. That's why we got free army socks. We all started trying on boots with varying levels of success. The boot lady told us there was no way we could tell if they fit if we didn't lace them up and one person starting lacing it up the wrong way much to her amusement. It took most of us two or three tries, but we all ended up with a pair that fit. Back at the office we got some t-shirts so we're (in theory) set to be out in the field.

Today we ate at the mess hall for the soldiers. It took a little wheedling to convince them we had permission to eat there, but eventually we got in. I figure $4.25 for all you can eat is pretty good. This was just one more place where I couldn't help but laugh at how much we stood out. It's always entertaining to see eight college students wandering aimlessly among a hundred troops.

Back at the office it was time to start working. The only problem for me is that I'm assigned to Company B, and they don't even fly in until Thursday or Friday. That day a photographer and I will take a trip up to the Louisville Airport to ambush the poor unsuspecting cadets as they get off the plane. In the mean time, I headed back to the hotel early due to my total lack of work to do.

The rest of tonight will be dedicated to napping, watching TV, swimming in the now-open hotel pool, and apparently karaoke. Look forward to an update again in a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment