Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Fort Knox Weekend

Weekends here are strange. Technically, the Cadets are still doing activities on the weekend and we have to work, but we still partake in typical weekend activities that keep us up all night. The past few weekends I've actually gone home for various reasons, so aside from Saturday morning/afternoon I was hanging out with the the other interns all weekend.

Friday night was one of the interns 21st birthday so we opted to go to Churchill Downs for Downs After Dark. It was my first time actually at the track and it was a lot of fun. It was a great way for everyone over and under 21 to hang out and have a good time someplace other than Radcliff. I ended up losing $17.60, but such is life.



Since I was so close I spent the night at home Friday night on account of the fact we were going camera shopping Saturday. I'm now the owner of a Canon 7D. Every second I spend with it I love it a little bit more. Back at the Econolodge there were plans brewing for a trip to the Bullitt County Fair. The girls first went an ate Mexican for dinner, then we met up with the guys a little later at the fair. I really enjoy carnival rides so it was a fun time with the gang.

Then Sunday morning came and while most people either sleep or go to church, I went to the shooting range on base. This is the 3rd or 4th time my Cadets have been out there shooting, but the first few times were really basic things and always conflicted with more interesting things so this was our first time going out there. It's actually really uninteresting. All the video I got really isn't that great because well, there's only so much that visually interesting in someone shooting a gun. I brought my new camera though and wanted to get a shot of the bullet casing coming out of the barrel. I took hundreds of pictures and in all I got three with the casing in the air.



Jeff and I stayed way longer than we normally would have because Lt. Col. Hart said he was going to talk to someone about letting us shoot a gun. Neither of us had shot even a handgun before, so the prospect of having the M16 being the first gun we've ever shot was awesome.

At first we got over there and one of the guys told me to get in shooting position. I just got on the ground and was like, uhhhh. I'm going to need a little more direction. Eventually I got set up in the right position and he told me what to do and all that was left was to shoot. It was awesome.



I was actually fairly successful too. All the officers and Sergeants we see on a regular basis wanted to see how we did and said it was some really good shooting. One said we did better than some of the Cadets. I got one almost right in the middle, another just on the edge of the black, and then the other three were close by. So apparently, I'm a decent shooter.



Overall, a fun weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment