Friday, June 4, 2010

At last! A day of work.

Today I finally had something to do. My company arrived today and a photographer and I hopped in a car to the Louisville Airport to meet them. There wasn't very much scintillating stuff to shoot at the airport, but I did what I could. It was fun talk to cadets and finding out where everyone was from. I did short little interviews with several cadets asking what they were looking forward to or were nervous about. It will go into a short 30-second video I plan to make.

We jumped on the bus back to Fort Knox with the cadets and listened to an officer talk to them about it. Up until this point everyone had been very very friendly with the cadets, they were having a good time and were very excited.

Then the bus pulled up to the barracks. As soon as the cadets got off they were met with a barrage of screams by the drill instructors. I took my sweet time getting off the bus and was mildly concerned they would think I was a cadet, but I think the camera gave me away.

With the good lighting outside and shots of terrified cadets to get I hovered around them. For awhile I was really worried that a drill sergeant was going to get mad at me or I was going to get in their way, they were ripping these poor students to shreds. As it turns out the drill sergeants love us interns from Public Affairs. They would get out of my way and offered me water and sunscreen while trying to convince me to film their platoon the most. I found them to be a really friendly group of people. I'm sure the cadets would disagree with me, but that's just the luxury of being a civilian working to make the Army look good.

It was the first day I actually worked 9-5 and it was so nice actually having something to do. I know I'm going to be completely exhausted and hot all summer, but I think it should be pretty ridiculously fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment