Thursday, June 17, 2010

Adventure Time

I guess I haven't been keep up with this blog very well. My bad. The past couple weeks have been a great deal of fun though.

Since my last post I've filmed at the climbing complex, stream crossing, and rappelling.

Where Eagles Dare

Where Eagles Dare is the climbing complex on base. While there, Cadets go through a high ropes course, a rock wall, and a very large climbing-thing that I haven't figured out the name for. Filming that day was awful because that morning it was very very humid. I felt like I was swimming through the air. We powered through though, I got some fun footage. I followed one Cadet all the way through the high ropes who was deathly afraid of heights. I got shots of her crying and struggling, but at the end I was glad to see her smiling as she came down the zip line.

Tonight, the PAO interns went to conquer Where Eagles Dare. The first thing we did was basically swing around on a rope. They raised us up 50 ft in the air and it was up to us to let go and swing. It was a ton of fun.



I unfortunately am highly uncoordinated and highly out of shape. I was halfway up the first cargo net when I realized I just wasn't physically going to be able to get through it. Despite the fact I stopped I still have rope burn halfway up my leg from jumping onto said cargo net. I'm already determined to go back and try again. I'm stubborn that way. I DID get halfway up the rock-wall though, and that was much farther than I really expected to. I would have kept going but I was well on my way to dehydration so I opted to go down. Again, I'm determined to go back and try again. Or else I'm just stubborn.

Stream Crossing

This was a lot of fun to watch and be a part of. By the time we got there they were starting a race between multiple squads to build a one rope bridge across a stream and then get everyone across. They went all out for it and while the Cadets were racing there was music in the background and smoke bombs going off. I went into the water to get some shots, filmed on either side of the bridge, got hit in the face with a rope, but it was all a good time.





Rappelling

Rappelling was quite the adventure to film. I spent about 5 minutes on the ground filming Cadets coming down, but they made it very clear to us that we could go to the top and film. I was all over that. We trucked up the stairs and got strapped in. It was highly uncomfortable. They basically just wrapped a rope around my middle, tied a fancy knot, and then hooked me to a line. Since the video camera is so much bigger than a still camera, one of the Sargeants up there had to stay with my the whole time to make sure I didn't go careening over the edge. I'm sure he was very excited about this. It took a really long time for me to find a position where I could be (somewhat) comfortable while getting awesome shots. I finally achieved this on the open-ended side where I laid on my stomach and basically hung my shoulders and camera off the side. Any job where you're hanging off the side of a 50 ft tower is a fun one in my book.




Later that day I went back to try it out for myself which was really cool. The hardest part is definitely just lowering yourself off the top of the tower in an L-shaped position like pictured above. It's hard fighting your instincts to grab the side and hold on for dear life. You just have to trust the equipment and make sure to keep your legs straight. I managed though. One thing you have to do while rappelling is to put one of your hands in the small of your back to stop yourself as you're falling. I found it really difficult pulling the rope around behind me while I was falling. Overall though it was a lot of fun and I can't wait to do it again. Maybe next time I'll conquer the side without a wall. A Lieutenant Colonel took some pictures of me on his Blackberry. They probably aren't great quality, but when I get them I plan to post them!

Overall it's been a fun couple of weeks. Tomorrow is boat flipping, but no worries, the one I'll be in will stay upright. I'll try to update more often!

Also, top photo is by Sarah Gordon, the other two by Jeff Sainlar

No comments:

Post a Comment